Friday, January 25, 2013



I was servicing one of our short Thomas buss and saw some signs of leaking coolant. The leak looked like it was coming form the Heater Core housing. Taking the housing apart I found that the pipe had broke in two places, as you can see in the picture above. Looking it all over, I start a failure analysis. I conclude that it is a fault in design. All the weight of the hose and coolant in the hose are put onto the pipe, that is sticking straight out. Over time with the bus going over bumps, the hose puts more stress on the pipe until it broke. You can see the small pipe broken on top. The other brake is were the big pipe connects to the small pipe. We have a couple more of the same buses so there maybe more repairs in the future.

Hours for the week: 16    Total hours: 110

1 comment:

  1. Good find Dan. I'm sure your efforts are appreciated there.

    ReplyDelete